Promoting mental health, wellness, self-love, emotional healing, addiction, recovery, motherhood, and relationships by sharing personal experiences via creative writing/poetry/letters/stories. My first short story is Detritus, of which there are 3 parts, currently.
I live with anxiety, depression, ptsd, and then some.
All opinions are mine.
Names may be changed as needed to protect privacy.
I am not gathering anyone's info.
Thank you for your support.
Let's go!
Twentieth Post
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
By Brooke
Author
Shannon
Here I am, frustrated and filled with resentment, anger.
The rocks that filled my lungs (see previous post), burn like lava stones.
Shannon was my step mother until her death.
I didn't kill her.
But I did punch her one time.
Not my best moment, and it led to Dad not talking to me for 6 months or more. Can't really blame him, but can't really blame me either... she loved to provoke and she was there to take my mode of transportation without warning. The truck I'd always been allowed to drive, but didn't own. It wasn't mine, it was his to take. But she was yelling and yelling, and then insulted my dad "no wonder your wife divorced you" of course is clear as day because I became so enraged I threw a punch and hit her... not hard.
The car door was between us which I did not do on purpose, but as she lunged at me, and hit the door, I was grateful it was there.
______________
Back Story
My dad met Shannon about a year into his recovery from drugs and alcohol. She was about six months sober, maybe? They met at an Alcoholics Anonymous or NA meeting and I think Dad was probably smitten instantly. I was happy for him at first but noticed some underhanded comments she made about my weight (yay, freshman 15!).
My 17 year old, extremely naive, boundary-less and unable to see the clouds from the sky.
I drove home to see Dad every weekend while in college. Why not, I hadn't made friends and my college roommate, who I liked and/or got along well with, was going home every weekend to see her BF. So off I went to YC to hang with Dad, and occasionally see my high school best friend, we'll call her C.S.
It was not the easiest time. Dad was lonely; Shannon was a welcome change. He had love to give, he was such a big hearted guy, if not frustratingly masculine at times.
Immediately after, like 10 minutes later she apparently broke off their engagement. I say apparently because we rode back from Clear Lake with her putting her ring finger behind her head rest the whole time to show me, who was sitting directly behind her, that she had removed the engagement ring.
Dad was pissed by the time we got home. I was relieved and ecstatic. Until he stormed off to go get her back.
They were married, lots more drama ensued. Shannon never got over the fact that my older sister wore black to her wedding. I tried to be happy, but she was so good at being fake sweet, and then she'd turn nasty on a dime.
I'd call and hear her voice every time. I'd cry and she'd yell.
I'd go "home" to see them only to see pictures of their family on the wall. Nary a "family photo" of dad's other children. Just Shannon, Dad, and her 2-3 kids in a very JC Penney-style sitting. She loved to make comments about their "family" time, family dinners, eating out, vacations to see my grandparents, with her kid(s)... She never included me in that time. I was invited over, not for dinner, just over, the night after their "family" dinner. Why she loved to tell me those things, that I don't know. I just see her now as a twisted person because she was hurt and had hurt. She was a victim and an abuser. It's hard to reconcile that, I'm sure. That's the reality for so many abusers, I believe. They were themselves victims, potentially of horrible, unfathomable crimes.
Check out this video, but you have to watch/listen to the end or it's not worth it, I promise. Trigger warning, this video contains description of violence against children, people, including sexual assault.
So I pitied Shannon and yet still resented her. I didn't fight with her when I went to see my dad for the second to last time before he passed in 2018, but when my sister and I were there to say our goodbyes to dad, we fought. She was feeding the man morphine after saying she would wait. She seemed ready for him to go, even though he was cognizant. But he aspirated on his food and had signed a DNR. Well, she signed his DNR, but I do remember him saying that's what he wanted. It's just that her signature and his inability to confirm that he didn't want a feeding tube in the moment (the poor man literally kept saying he was hungry), was jarring. This was on the heals of her accusing him of cheating on her and doing meth in his day care home. She was so upset at him, but she didn't kill him, not quite.
About six months or more after he passed, Shannon overdosed, potentially accidentally. I still have the last voicemail she left me. After he passed, she tried several times to call me. I never could bring myself to talk to her. I feel guilt about that, but not responsibility, not anymore.
_______
I carry resentments around with me from the time I was 17... the proverbial rocks she hurled at me, I must've kept them, stored them. I want to let them go.
The challenge is embracing reality and change Changing realities Acceptance of the contradictions and discomfort Physical discomfort aside we live with the raw truths of our own limitations our own mortality Our vanity We embrace distraction in the form of shiny toys and games Drinks, pills, smoke fills our lungs We travel and create We fight, fuck, lie, steal We love We give We help I am a force to be regarded and respected I kneel for pleasure, not fear I believe in the power of our connectivity We are all beautiful and ugly, clean and filthy, different and the same, and everything in between. Life is a beautiful mess Perfect in it's chaos and unpredictability Painful lessons we learn and love we lose Mistakes we make and can't undo We are all linked in this life Let's make a beautiful mess together. Image credit: ChatGPT
Detritus: Death on Earth A Ghos † G rr l Nano-novel - nanonovel 1 By Brooke S. Haley Images generated by ChatGPT We reach Nanova during her 7th renewal, or 16 revolutions around Galaxy Majora. The galaxies surrounding Galaxy Minora V moved around Galaxy Majora, a galaxy having the largest black hole our collective universes had ever recorded. Majora was nearly 100 times the size of Minora V and had three life planets; planets which had developed intelligent life. Fivers were not allowed to leave the atmosphere, so they had never glimpsed Majora nor the other planets. Minora V was a cruel world; fresh food and water were the precious and rare commodities. Prison camps were full of the deeply hungry, and tortured, beings. Forced to work on bare minimum sustenance, the prison class were not slaves; they were a forgotten and wasted people, scattered across the planet and the galaxy. The prison class was above the detritus, and below everyone else. T...
Yes Feeling Worthy Fighting the wall that rose In unconscious preempt__ive protect__ion The safety Insane to think Distance would mean I would Foll__low through with Self protection The mirror Blinding Shadows and light Like some fucked up allegory With soft hearts and hard minds Bending time, space, distance My will has no boundaries Just charting the course for beauty, truth, love, creation Orienting to north Grounding- Breathing- Then Release… Melting… One with the course Am I the map or the stars Am I luring sailors off course Or the tide that ebbs in flow with her moon Lost is only wandering without direction Image credit: https://aquamermaid.com
Comments
Post a Comment